...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Saturday, June 10, 2006

astrocytoma grade IV...aka GBM

Wow...what a weird 6 weeks it's been. On the evening of Wednesday, April 26th, my mother went to play cards with some friends. She got there and started acting like she was having a stroke. Her friends called 911, they thought she needed to go to the hospital. At the ER the doctors ran a CT scan. They found a brain tumor. The next morning at 7 am I received that phone call. The tumor was small - an inch by inch size. Within a day, another CT scan and an MRI were done. A second tumor was found - it was probably the "parent" tumor. It was about the size of a tennis ball. Both tumors were located in her right frontal lobe. She was told about the tumors on Friday - very late.

My mom lives just over three hours away. My daughter had a huge ballet recital that Saturday. We had a ton of rehearsals during that week. On Saturday before the performance I spoke to my mom. She said she was thinking of having the tumors removed versus just biopsied. She asked what I would do. I told her my gut reaction would be to say GET THEM OUT! But I didn't know all the facts. She told me she wanted them out too. The doctor agreed and said he could operate on Monday morning.

On Sunday, my husband and I drove two cars up to the hospital. We all visited my mom. My husband and the kids went home before dinner - it was still a school night. I stayed up there at the hospital for a few days.

I need to share this computer now so I'll try to write more later.

No comments: