...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Saturday, January 12, 2008

"Don't Ever"


Don't ever try to understand everything ~ some things will just never make sense.
*
Don't ever be reluctant to show your feelings ~ when you're happy, give into it! When you're not, live with it.
*
Don't ever be afraid to try to make things better ~
you might be surprised at the results.
*
Don't ever take the weight of the world on your shoulders.
*
Don't ever feel threatened by the future ~ take life one day at a time.
*
Don't ever feel guilty about the past ~ what's done is done. Learn from any mistakes you might have made.
*
Don't ever feel alone...there is always somebody there for you to reach out to.
*
Don't ever forget that you can achieve so many thing you can imagine ~ imagine that! It's not as hard as it seems.
*
Don't ever stop loving,
*** don't ever stop believing,
***** don't ever stop dreaming your dreams.
************************ ~Laine Parsons
Copyright Stephen Schutz and Susan Polis Schultz, 1983.
Blue Mountain Arts, Inc.
------------------------------
The little boy and girl above are myself and my brother. I think it was in 1967. He would have been almost 2 and I almost 4. Our dad took this photo for our family Christmas card. Mom made the ceramic Santa platter.
*
We had a very close family as I grew up. My brother was my biggest pain, and my best buddy. We shared everything...good times and bad. We had parents who loved us dearly though we lived from dad's paycheck to paycheck. Family was very important and I remember our weekends and all free time being with cousins, Aunts, Uncles and grandparents from both sides of the clan. My brother and I each had our own "corner" of the basement to play. He had his Big Jim and GI Joe's and I had my Barbie's in our respective corners. Barbie and Big Jim or Joe would often visit one another. We also had Legos we'd used to build imaginary towns. The blocks were stored in a big box, but each time we'd get those out to play we'd have to separate blocks evenly. One for you...one for me...one for you...one for me... Again, we'd start out separate but always merge together.
*
As we got older, Friday nights were our card playing nights. Dad and me against Mom and Larry. The game we'd play: Euchre. The drinks: Beer for dad, Boozy-pop for mom (Coke and whiskey (I think)), regular coke for us. Usually mom would let us have a sip of her drink. Sometimes dad would make Grasshoppers...but I bet they probably were virgin! Who know though...we were at home. Mom and dad always said they'd rather us drink with them than in secret. What's the fun in that! But those grasshoppers were decadent!
*
When our father died my brother and I were really adults, 19 and 21. We weren't quite ready to be pushed out of the nest as abruptly as what happened. We were both ready to stay home and help our mom raise our five year old sister, but our grandfather wouldn't hear of that. He said we'd honor our father better by finishing our college education. That is what our dad would have wanted. Grandpa assured us mom would be fine. She had Grandma and him just 10 miles away.
*
*
*
At school, my brother and I shared a house with another guy. My brother and I were able to really console each other through our father's death. You just can never tell when emotions of loss will strike you. Having someone else nearby, who has been through all you have been through makes a huge difference. My brother bought a card for me with the above poem on it. I found it the other day.
*
I am happy I still have that card. And I am happy I had a sibling to grow up with. I don't think my parent's ever knew he was the best gift they ever gave me. His experiencing life with me has made me a richer person than most. I am glad I have two children myself. Maybe when they grow up they too can realize how blessed, how rich, how lucky they have been to have had each other to go through life with.
*
I wonder if I can get them to play cards tonight?

1 comment:

sweetcakes said...

What a cute picture! Is that you with red hair? When I was growing up,I remember my dad making Grasshoppers too.