...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Diabetes in the Family...


Owning a pet means someone to care for who will, for food, return your love. Fairly unconditional. Extremely Pavlovian. Usually that "caring for" is a simple thing. Pets are animals after all, their needs are few and not complex...food, shelter, food, things to play with, food, their own bathroom, food...
*
We have two indoor cats. Jack, whose picture is at the bottom of my blog, and Lily, pictured here.
*
A few weeks ago I knew one of the cats was sick, but I couldn't figure out who. I was pretty sure it was Jack so I took him into the vet. He had to spend the night there and go through a bunch of testing. The next day I was going to pick him up after I finished at school. When I returned home from school, but before I went to get Jack, I found out who was the sick cat. Lily had left me a small puddle of pee in my entry way...completely unlike either of the cats...and there was blood evident.
*
I took Lily into the vet when I went to get Jack. She was checked out and given antibiotics for an infection. I needed to get a urine sample from her and a week later have some blood work done.
*
Lily's tests came back positive for diabetes. Her blood glucose was at 387...very, very high although I have read that cats can tolerate a higher level of BG than can humans.
*
On Wednesday of this week I took Lily back to the vet and learned how to administer insulin to her. She is now on special food and shots twice a day. I also have to regularly check her glucose level. She's a strong willed, very opinionated animal...a lot like my daughter. Michelle is Lily's owner but not her caregiver. Stress can make BG rise.
*
*
So, a few days into this new routine and I think Lily and I have it down. Testing her BG is not too hard. I bought a home meter and prick her ear. I have been practicing on myself, my husband, my daughter and Jack. My son refuses to be "stuck" by his mother!
*
*
Lily cooperates as much as allowable for her insulin shots. Maybe that will get better over time. What a lucky cat to live in our household!

No comments: