...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Unexpected Finds...

When Winston and I head out for his walks, I expect to find wildlife in our path.  

It is about time for the deer to have their young.  I am hoping each time we head out (camera in hand) that I will spot a fawn.  I have read that newborns do not smell, so I don't expect Winston to point them out!  I observed several deer together last week and one was being aggressive to the others.  Again, I have read that when a doe is close to having her babies she will chase the others in the herd away.  

But alas, no young yet near the Burrow!  I remain patient.  

*****
Yesterday on Winston's and my first walk of the day, I did find not one, but two very surprising finds...

.....domesticated bunnies, dumped in the woods.  Shocking!!!  But not really I suppose.  It is spring break and I am sure these babies were cramping some ones plans.  Winston and I walked right up to these two.  Do you think they would have survived long in the woods?  I was quite a sight as I stuffed first the black bunny and then 40 steps later, the white bunny into my coat vest.  Winston was a very good boy.  All he was interested in was smelling the bunnies.  

Thankfully, my daughter is not home this spring break.  She did not have to go with me to the animal shelter.  She will be upset that we didn't adopt both of these fluffy balls, but now was not the time for adding to the menagerie of our home.  Our local shelter is an invaluable asset to the community.  I am sad that they must exist, but happy that our community can be supportive.  Once again I would like to encourage all my readers to give to your local animal shelter!  

I was angry with the irresponsibility of these humans living near me and for their dumping these pets.  If they are comfortable dumping pets, I wonder what else they are comfortable doing......


4 comments:

Lisa said...

Rrrrr! That really burns my patoot! I am an animal lover through and through and people who do this kind of thing to ANY type of animal sicken me. I just CAN NOT understand...

On a lighter note... You got to walk around with a vest chock full o'bunnies! That's kinda neat :o)

But in all seriousness, not funny at all. Thank you for being a good, kind human being!

parTea lady said...

Your pictures are really nice. Sorry about the bunnies. I can't understand people who do things like that. It really burns me when I see people's pets dead on the side of a busy road - so sad - have they not heard of leashes and fences?

I will find out about that apron pattern as soon as I can.

parTea lady said...

I called the quilt shop and they are out of the apron pattern. Maybe you can find it somewhere else - it is called Funked Out Apron by Lila Tueller. Don't you just love the name?

Steph said...

Thanks for taking care of the bunnies!