...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Monday, October 08, 2012

Uncle Sam...is back!

Winston and I went out for our late afternoon hike today at about 4:30 p.m.  He was searching for moles or chipmunks, but I was looking for owls.  I wanted to head back down to the Eagle's nest because Great Horned Owls had used that nest this summer and I recently saw one or two hanging out in the area.  

Boy was I surprised!  

Since I can't tell if this is a boy or a girl, I will just call it Uncle Sam...it works for me.  When I registered what I was seeing, and he was only about 50 feet away from me, I quickly thought about the date and realized it was about a year ago when I noticed the eagles were back from their summer travels.  I know if the conditions are right they will spend all year here, but the past two years they haven't been around through the summer.  At least not around this nesting sight.  For the past four years I have watched the eagles return by late November.  

This past spring I did see a pair at the nest, but they didn't stay and the Great Horned Owls used their nest instead.  Being an owl lover too, I didn't mind their show.  Still, eagles are SO majestic and regal!  




I received an extra treat today as Winston and I continued on our walk around the almost completely dry lake bed...Uncle Sam was enjoying easy fishing too!  












Fish in his talons
  In flight he reached down with his head to his talons and put the fish in his beak.
The two pictures above are the same and the two below are the same.  The bottom of each is the enlargement to help point out the fish. 

Fish going from his talons to his mouth



Talk about having a great day!  :)

No comments: