...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Monday, September 22, 2008

...genre...

Several weeks ago I confessed how much I enjoy classical music.  Well that is true, I do enjoy most other types of music too.  

I mentioned my love for rock, and Sammy Hagar.  I think going to a concert , being young, lustful and just five feet from him as he sang may have influenced this obsession of mine.  But I didn't mention my love of drummers.  Growing up I had a very close friend who played the drums.  I think his parents had hoped he'd be the son who would inherit the family farm.  Literally.  He was not one of those souls who could be tied down to the community we grew up in.  The area was too flat and lacking in opportunity.  He was too artistic and really did need to spread his wings.  I am convinced that had he stayed home he would have gone insane.  He was an always  smiling, funny spirited, big-hearted, do-whatever-he-could-for-you, friend.  He was three years older than me, but someone I always wanted to touch my life somehow.  Even now.  He is happily married with three children near my own children's ages.  At times, I wonder what he and his family are up to.  I'd love to reconnect more than we have.  
-----
I recall being excited for him as he went off to college.  We stayed close friends for several years after that.  He even came back to take me to my prom.  I feel like those were really my misfit days.  High school girls can be infuriating!  When they are freshmen they only date seniors and when they are seniors they won't date the guys their own age!  For me, I had another very good friend, who was male and my age, but I didn't feel like I could go to my prom with him because I worried he wanted to be more than my friend and I couldn't bear to break his heart anymore than I all ready had.  But he's another story for another time.  

My drummer friend and I had so many fun adventures together as I grew up.  Again, many, many stories I could write.  Each story is sure to put a smile on my face.  I have never told my friend that he helped me to love drummers.  I love to watch them in action.   I tend to focus on what they are doing as I watch; picking out their rhythms and feeling their beat of the song.  Even when I just listen to music, I seem more in tune with that background spine.  Maybe that's why I enjoy rock and roll so much.  Jazz inspired individual artists to 'strut their stuff.'  That inspiration flowed over into rock.  There is nothing better in my book than a drum solo.    I love them!  

While classical music calms me, other genre can ignite me.  

BTW, that long ago Van Halen concert I attended...nirvana!  



No comments: