...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Shhh....

This morning I couldn't sleep.  I was up at 4:44.  I laid in bed for awhile and listened to the sounds outside.  Not much was happening.  After about 30 minutes, I heard some rustling in the leaves below my window.  Jack heard it too.  He moved his warm, fat body off of my legs to go look out the window and investigate.  It was probably an Opossum.  

I decided to get up and walk around the Burrow in the dark.  The floors are very noisy.  Old floor boards!  No need to worry about anything roaming the house at night unnoticed!  Of course curiosity got the best of Lily, and she came to see what I was doing from where ever she spends her night patrolling the Burrow.  I think Lily enjoys the basement.  She must be hoping to find another snake, or maybe a mouse.  

I looked out the back windows.  It's very dark.  Most of the wildlife seems to be lured into somber too by the peacefulness of the night.  The sky is clear and crisp.  The stars sparkle like diamonds above the canopy of leaves.  My stomach breaks the solitude with a low rumble.  Being up for almost two hours now, it's ready for some nourishment.  I don't seem to be able to convey to my stomach how nourishing this peaceful morning has been for my soul.  

I'd love to step outside onto the back porch in the dark.  Two things are keeping me inside.  First, opening the doors would probably wake everyone else in the household.  And second, if the doors didn't wake everyone then Jacks meows to come and join me would certainly do the trick.  Maybe at 7, when it's a more reasonable hour to rouse the teens.  

1 comment:

Amy said...

There must have been something in the air this morning very early. I have been up since about 5:00 as well. It is my favorite time to read and write.

Esme