...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Siblings and generations...

Sister and Brother.  Six years apart.  Baby and Oldest.  

When they were little it probably made a difference that they were farther apart in age.  It doesn't matter now.  Six years is not that much time.  I wonder why the spread though?  Were there miscarriages?  Too much family around?  A lack of privacy?  Did a job keep the parents apart physically?  My FIL was born in 1925 and I wonder what the years and life were like back then.  How much did the economy influence his parent's lives?  

This Aunt has come for a short visit with her brother.  It's fun to watch them interact.  I find myself projecting my own relationship with my brother onto them.  Their relationship seems much more different than the relationship I have with my own brother.  It kind of makes me sad.  The reason for my sadness might surprise one; I am sad because I hope my brother and I don't ever become as distant as these two seem to be.  If these two didn't look so similar when they are together, you might not even know they were related.  They don't chat very often.  It's just enough to stay connected...a few times a year.  I don't want this to happen for me and my own siblings.  Yet I fear my youngest sib and I will be this way as we age.  I have trouble seeing the connections to one another we have in our current  lives.  There seems to be work that needs to be done to stop this from happening.  It's a two-way street I know.  Sometimes though, I feel like I am waiting for her to get on the road let alone start driving.  

I also just realized that the last time I was with my brother I didn't get a picture of us together.  Shame on me!  I need to remember to not only have my camera out, but to use it!  

No comments: