...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Friday, February 27, 2009

A Girl's Read...

Stephanie Meyer's Twilight Saga is perfect for teenage girls!  The four books in this series are worth the time any age gal wants to spend with her nose in a good book.  

I am a first grade reading teacher. My daughter is 14.   Reading is NOT my daughter's first love.  I don't think it even rates up there on her top 100 things to do, ever.  Several other "moms" and friends I know have read this series.  I think every single girl my daughter knows has read these books.  

After persistent prodding from my daughters BFF, she finally read the first book last summer.  I was curious too.  I asked our mutual friend, if we could borrow her book a little longer.  I was hooked.  To encourage further reading by my non-reader-daughter we borrowed all but the last book from her BFF.  The last book I requested from the library because my daughter still had book three to read and I couldn't wait.  Last Saturday I started book 4 while my daughter started book 3 on Sunday.   I swear my daughters nose was glued in her book all day on Sunday.  We went out for dinner and she didn't want to go because she wanted to read.   She went to bed that night and stayed up very late, until she finished the book.  

When she comes home from school in another hour and a half I will smile as I place book 4 in her hands.  Too bad she has ballet tonight and all day tomorrow.  I know where her nose will be again this Sunday!  

This series is just that good, if fictional romance is your thing.  I won't put any spoilers here, but there is no swearing in all these books.  There is appropriate sex, and if you read the series you'd understand that statement, in book four.  I am glad I have read this before my daughter.  But I can't wait to share this with her too.  

If you live close to me and are curious about these books I happen to own a copy of the first book and would willingly loan it out.  I am a big fan of the public library and would encourage that route too.  I had requested book 3 from the library quite some time ago...I was number 39 on that wait list.  Lucky for me my daughter finished book 2 and we borrowed book 3 from her BFF before the library came through.    

I received an e-mail last Friday morning from the library and happily went to borrow my requested book.  

Now to find another good read...

1 comment:

Steph said...

Now, that's another good point - if the book is encouraging reading, then that's a great thing! Thank you for your very thoughtful comment on my blog! I really appreciate it!