...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Have You?

Okay, one more downer post and then I promise, I'll be more upbeat!  Seriously.  

Have you made your intentions known yet about how you would want to be treated should something happen and you were incapable of vocalizing your wishes?
*****
As an example, Let's say you get Encephalitis due to West Nile.  You have a fever of about 104 for about 4 weeks and you are basically in a coma.  Live support is keeping you going but there is really not a chance in the world that you are going to be able to come out of this illness and live any good quality of life.  What would you want?    
*****
It's called a Living Will.  Basically you appoint a health care representative who you trust would follow your wishes.  And, you clearly spell out what those wishes are.  

After what I went through emotionally with my mom and step-dad and their illnesses and passing, I knew what my desires were.  I do NOT want my husband or children to ever suffer thinking what would I want versus what is the best.  

We have had many conversations where I have said, "I don't want that!" after hearing or reading some news article.  But, I didn't have it in writing.  

On Monday I went to my hospital for my pre-op stuff and they asked if I had a Living Will in place.  I said no.  The nurse asked if I wanted the paper work to fill out in the next day.  I told her I wanted to say no, but I knew I needed to say yes.  So I took the papers.  

On Tuesday night I sat alone in my kitchen and I cried as I filled out the papers.  What a mature thing to do.  What a grown up decision.  What a finality these papers had.  I really needed to look at this as a gift to my children and husband that I hope they won't need for a long, long time.  

My daughter came in and caught me crying.  She asked why I was doing this now.  Was I worried about the surgery?  My answer was no.  I was not worried about surgery.  I told her I was doing this now because I was young and in good health and I needed to do this.  

Taking the papers to the hospital to have them witnesses the next day was easier.  I didn't realize how hard it would be initially to put my wishes in writing.  Maybe I was a little emotional due to the pending surgery.  

Still, Have you made your wishes known?  Do the right thing, put it in writing!!!  

1 comment:

The Hunts said...

We are so behind on this one. Lot's of things not in writing. I hate to think about what others would have to go through should something happen unexpected to me and krista