...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Anything Boys Can Do!

Dark and early this morning...4:40a.m....I drove my husband and son to the airport.  They are heading out to Montana for a father/son canoe trip.  They will be meeting up with 16 other friends; all dads and sons.  The organizer of this event has three boys and this is his third time to do this trip.  His youngest is four years old and this is really because of him.  This is HIS first big adventure.  Everyone else is just lucky enough to be allowed to tag along!  

When the initial invitation to go on this trip came to my husband our daughter was very put out. She is an adventurous soul.  She'd LOVE an opportunity to show all the boys that girls can do anything boys can do.  In her attempt to make her point she had my husband help her set up our tent the other night.  She invited three friends over to camp out in the backyard.   
The girls arrived at about 4 p.m.  Two of the three teens were in my old Brownie Girl Scout troop with my daughter.  I took them camping on several occasions, so I know they can handle a little over night in a tent in our backyard.  

The girls went out to the tent at 10:15 p.m.  Our backyard is a bit like a park.  There are deep woods right off the back.  If you read my blog then you are familiar with the variety of wildlife we have strolling by on a regular basis.  My daughter's goal was to try to get as far away from the house as possible.  To make a long story short, a neighbors dog jingled by with his tags piquing nervous ears.  Then, the same dog must have found our resident skunk.  At 11 p.m. my cell phone rang and I was asked to turn on the backyard lights.  The chickens wanted to come inside!  My daughter assured me she wasn't scared.  I do believe her.  She's a tough cookie and has a great sense of adventure about her.  

The tent pictured above was the next morning.  You can't really tell, but it was pouring rain.  The girls were inside our house sleeping in the basement.  Good thing for them because later in the day my daughter and I found a huge puddle inside the tent.  Not sure what's up with that. 
Last night my daughter tried another camp out with a different friend.  When I got up to take my boys to the airport I didn't find the girls in the house!  Arriving home this morning before 7 I did find that the girls had company out back!  

The picture is horrible.  My boys have my camera for the next week and I couldn't find my daughter's camera.  I had to use my cell phone and take this picture through my living room window.  Still, I can't wait to show my daughter this morning when she wakes up!  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

sweetcakes said...

My kids wanted to sleep in out tent which we put on the back deck. They made it until 2am before heading back into the house. ;)

Comfrey Cottages said...

very cool pic hootie! lol enchanting! hugs :)