We were curious so we asked, what are they? We were told they are called Chanterelle Mushrooms. We also learned that they grow wild in our area and it's been a boom year for them. What my husband and I found the most interesting is that on our walks over the last few weeks we've been seeing these treats! We had no idea that anything other than Morels were edible! Sunday morning we went out for our walk and I took a bag with us.
As we came upon the spot, where we had noted about 50 Chanterelle mushrooms before, I was heart broken to see they had all ready been harvested! Cut off just under the cap! We continued our walk and thirty minutes later I found another tiny patch of mushrooms. I had to try them.
I did a bunch of on-line research about Chanterelle's to see if these I found were the real deal. Check out this info: Chanterelle Mushrooms.
I did find out that there was one look-a-like mushroom. Although poisonous, these won't kill a person. Eating the look-a-likes would just make a person sick; diarrhea, vomiting. I felt confident so I sauteed my find. In the end, I didn't get sick. My kids were chicken and didn't want to taste these treats. My husband waited for about thirty minutes after my first bite before he tried them.
They were delicious and I can't wait to find some more! :)