...random thoughts, opinions and secrets on children... aging... cooking... crafts... nature...divorce...second chances...
and whatever else I deem curious...
~Copyright 2017. Hootie~

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Oldies...but goodies!

This afternoon my husband and I chaperoned my mother and father in-law and 16 of their friends.  We went to see a play at the nearby Brown County Playhouse.   The play was called, There Goes the Bride!  The comedy started from the moment we stepped foot into the theatre.  Our seats had been double booked and were all ready occupied as we went to sit down.  Now I don't really mind being shifted out of my seat, but some of the rowdy crowd we were with started complaining.  They wanted to sit by their friends!  It made me laugh because if you've been in this playhouse then you know there isn't a bad seat in the place.  Also, who talks during any production?  Why does it matter who one sits next to once the lights dim?  As it was the show was delayed by 10 minutes.  I'm sure it was due to our seating mix up.  

The play was enjoyable.  Our local newspaper gave it good reviews.  I certainly would agree.  The casting was well done and all eight actors were entertaining.  If you live near me and you are looking for a fun night out, I'd suggest  heading over to Nashville, IN to take in this show.  

Since we went to the matinee show our more mature crowd was far from ready to call it a day.   They have a routine for these events.  After they go and see plays at the playhouse they go to Brown County State Park and have pitch-in picnics.  There is a designated meeting place, but I won't divulge that information!  I found it a hoot to listen to the chatter in my van as they were all hoping we were the only people at said spot.  My van load didn't recognize the first car all ready at their meeting place.  "Oh no!"  "Someone jump out and quickly run to the tables!"  "Drat, if we were only  30 seconds earlier!"  "Hey, isn't that....?"  "Oh Yeah!"   
(Seconds later another vehicle pulls up)  "A-oh.  That truck is not with us.  Quick someone run up to the tables!"  (The truck backs up and leaves.) "Hey, we scared them off!"  

Seriously, these were the comments in our van and our occupants are in their 70's and 80's!  One of them even had a walker!  

The picnic was fine.  My husband has grown up knowing all of these fine folks and they have been in my life for the past 2o+ years.  It was nice to be able to share the evening with them.  

I did learn something new about myself through all this.  I love to cook, but I do not like to make fried chicken.  I made my contribution last night (Oven Fried Chicken) and it was to be eaten cold today.  I used a recipe out of my 365 Ways to Cook Chicken cookbook.  After I made all 30 chicken legs and cleaned up my kitchen, I pulled my cookbook back out off the shelf.  I opened it to page 66 and circle the recipe in red ink.  Then I wrote the following:  "Good, BUT not worth the energy, the time or the clean up.  Go buy KFC!"  I signed and dated it and made my husband a witness.  I just don't eat Fried Chicken of any kind that much.  It's worth visiting the Colonel once of twice a year.  

I did receive several compliments tonight on my dish.  My husband told everyone they were lucky, because this was the last fried chicken I said I'd be making.  I did hear a few whispers saying, "I like KFC too."  :)

No comments: